Welcome

Hello and welcome to the Blog for the motor vessel ("m/v") Jenny G. The maritime world has been explored for thousands of years and we've realized that, even if a route is old, it's new to us. We write this blog with the hope that you'll create your own nautical adventures. Enjoy!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Maintenance: Extending our cruising range

The Jenny G's fuel supply comes from twin 18 gallon tanks beneath the splash well. Though the C-Dory site claims that a 22 Cruiser with a Honda 75 should get about 5.25 mpg at its most efficient cruising speed, I've measured more like 4.75 in our real-world cruising.

So, with a 10% reserve, how do I get my range above 150+ miles? Options are:

  • Upgrade to the current twin 23 gallon tanks that come on a new C-Dory. Cost: I don't want to know.
  • Purchase a fancy fuel bladder. Cost: Between $500 and $600 for 20'ish gallon models from ImtraTurtle-Pac, or others.
  • Purchase very low-tech 5 gallon utility cans. Cost: $17 per 5 gallon can from Blitz or dozens of other manufacturers.

Right now, I'm leading toward the low-tech option because, for about sixty bucks, I can put one between and two in front of the permanent tanks. If the two in front of the tanks are in the way when empty, the 10" width means I can put them on their sides in the splashwell.

Plus, there's the decidedly low tech benefit that I don't have to be at a fuel dock to refuel these bad boys. I'm not above beaching the boat and walking to the nearest gas station and I couldn't do that with a 200 pound "baggie" full of gasoline!

Got an opinion? Post a comment; I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. You can also check discussions of this topic on C-Brats, the C-Dory owner's Web site. Search on "fuel bladder" or go straight to these specific links:

    http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=13974
    http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=6462

    ReplyDelete